FILLERS AND INJECTABLES
ABOUT BOTOX® COSMETIC
Choose the brand medical providers and patients know and trust: BOTOX® Cosmetic. It’s the #1 selling treatment of its kind:
- The first and only treatment FDA-approved to temporarily make moderate to severe frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines look better in adults
- A quick 10-minute treatment with minimal downtime
- You may begin to notice results within 24 to 48 hours for moderate to severe frown lines
- It delivers predictable, subtle results, so you look like you, only with less noticeable facial lines
HOW BOTOX® COSMETIC WORKS
A combination of factors can cause facial lines. It’s not just about the cellular changes that may occur, or reduction of collagen, or damage caused by free radicals from the sun and the environment.
Repeated muscle contractions from frowning, squinting, or raising eyebrows cause skin to furrow and fold, gradually resulting in the formation of facial lines. BOTOX® Cosmetic works beneath the surface and temporarily reduces the underlying muscle activity that causes moderate to severe frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines in adults – to help them look visibly smoother.
Some patients receiving BOTOX® Cosmetic report the injections feel like a pinch. You may begin to notice a visible smoothing of frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines within 24 to 48 hours, with results lasting up to 4 months for moderate to severe frown lines in adults.
BOTOX® Cosmetic is not a permanent treatment. If you discontinue treatment the moderate to severe frown lines, crow’s feet and forehead lines will gradually return.
Only BOTOX® Cosmetic is backed by more than 16 years of published studies. It uses a unique manufacturing process, and its potency is measured in units that cannot be compared to any other product. This is why there is no such thing as “generic” BOTOX® Cosmetic.
WHAT IS HYALURONIC ACID?
Hyaluronic acid, or HA, is a natural substance in the body that delivers volume to the skin. Modified HA is the main ingredient behind JUVÉDERM®. Getting treated with JUVÉDERM® helps add volume to different areas of the face without surgery while also temporarily restoring the volume loss beneath the surface.
JUVÉDERM® Injectable Gel Fillers Important Information
Are there any reasons why I should not receive any JUVÉDERM® formulation?
Do not use these products if you have a history of multiple severe allergies or severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), or if you are allergic to lidocaine or the Gram-positive bacterial proteins used in these products.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA™ XC injectable gel is for deep injection in the cheek area to correct age-related volume loss and for augmentation of the chin region to improve the chin profile in adults over 21.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE™ XC and JUVÉDERM® XC injectable gels are for injection into the facial tissue for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds, such as nasolabial folds. JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE™ XC injectable gel is for adults over 21.
- JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC injectable gel is for injection into the lips for lip augmentation and for correction of perioral lines in adults over 21.
- JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gel is for injection into the lips and perioral area for lip augmentation in adults over 21
What precautions should my doctor advise me about?
- Minimize strenuous exercise and exposure to extensive sun or heat within the first 24 hours following treatment. Exposure to any of these may cause temporary redness, swelling, and/or itching at the injection site
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. The safety of these products for use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding has not been studied
- The safety of JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA™ XC has not been studied in patients under 35 years or over 65 years for cheek augmentation, or under 22 years and over 80 years for chin augmentation. The safety of JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE™ XC and JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC has not been studied in patients under 22 years, and the safety of JUVÉDERM® XC and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC has not been studied in patients under 18 years
- The safety and effectiveness of JUVÉDERM VOLUMA® XC in areas other than the cheek area, JUVÉDERM® XC and JUVÉDERM VOLLURE™ XC for areas other than facial wrinkles and folds, and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC and JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC in areas other than the lips and perioral area have not been established in clinical studies
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA™ XC is intended for use in the chin and cheek areas. JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE™ XC and JUVÉDERM® XC are intended for use in facial wrinkles and folds. JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC are intended for use in the lips and perioral area. The safety and effectiveness for treatment in other areas have not been established in clinical studies
- Tell your doctor if you have a history of excessive scarring (thick, hard scars) or pigmentation disorders. The safety of JUVÉDERM® products has not been studied in these patients and may result in additional scars or changes in pigmentation
- Tell your doctor if you are on therapy used to decrease the body’s immune response (immunosuppressive therapy). Use may result in an increased risk of infection
- Tell your doctor before treatment if you are using substances that can prolong bleeding, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or other blood thinners. As with any injection, this may result in increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site
- Patients who experience skin injury near the site of injection may be at a higher risk for adverse events
- JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA™ XC was not studied in patients with significant loose skin of the chin, neck, or jaw
- The effect of JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA™ XC injection into the chin on facial hair growth has not been studied
What are possible side effects?
The most commonly reported side effects with JUVÉDERM® injectable gels included redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, firmness, lumps/bumps, bruising, discoloration, and itching. For JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC, dryness was also reported. For JUVÉDERM® VOLUMA™ XC, most side effects resolved within 2 to 4 weeks. For JUVÉDERM® VOLLURE™ XC, JUVÉDERM® XC, and JUVÉDERM® Ultra XC injectable gels, most resolved within 14 days or less. For JUVÉDERM® VOLBELLA™ XC, most resolved within 30 days or less.
These side effects are consistent with other facial injection procedures. Most side effects will resolve with time. Your doctor may choose to treat side effects persisting over 30 days with antibiotics, steroids, or hyaluronidase (an enzyme that breaks down hyaluronic acid). One of the risks with these products is unintentional injection into a blood vessel. The chances of this happening are very small, but if it does happen, the complications can be serious and may be permanent. These complications, which have been reported for facial injections, can include vision abnormalities, blindness, stroke, temporary scabs, or permanent scarring of the skin.
As with all skin injection procedures, there is a risk of infection.
Before your injection service is scheduled
You and your provider will meet to discuss your goals. A full health history will be taken to assess if you are a good candidate. If you are on any blood thinners, fish oils, baby aspirin or other products that can increase the risk of bruising your provider will discuss best approach to minimize this concern. Approximate cost and amount of product needed to meet your goal will be discussed.
On the day of your injection service
Your skin should be clean, if you have any infection, this will need to be treated before you can receive an injection service. If you are wearing make-up we will clean the area before we begin. Topical anesthetic or an ice roller may be applied to your skin pre or post treatment to ensure your comfort and reduce the chance of bruising and swelling.
Treatment-related side effects
The most common treatment related side effects of injectable products include mild swelling at the injection site, redness, tenderness, itching and bruising. For a full list of possible risks please review our consent form. NOTE these products should not be used in patients with previous hypersensitivity to lidocaine or other local anesthetics.